Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Week 4 - Some semblance of normality

Saw Dr. Poor for my post-op follow up appointment. I took some photos of my xrays from before the surgery and after the surgery. You can tell which are the after ones because of the wires and other hardware. One photo is of the model they have in the office to show how they cut the jaw bone sideways not across the bone.

So had a couple more interviews this week. The 4 hour one was really hard. Pretty sore afterward. Brought some Ambesol with me to numb the sore spots. Almost done with the antibiotics. The swelling is mostly gone. Have to start stretching the muscles. Can't look up all the way since the muscles on my neck are stretched out. My tongue still won't stop pressing up against the roof of my mouth constantly. A little better but still annoying. Have to remember to put it down to allow the blood to flow.


The numbness is much better. I can feel about 90% of my right cheek. The left cheek is about 70% back to normal. My chin is much better. Still only about halfway there. The tingling is not so constant. Doesn't keep me up at night. My lips are about even with the feeling. They both are about 80% of normal. Still hard to give kisses. My gums are still numb. Starting to stimulate them more since they look very light pink.

The sutures are finally starting to dissolve. Seemed to take forever. Now I can move my lips and stuff without pulling on the sutures. Have some weird skin flaps sticking out. Not sure how they are going to heal. Not chewing on the back one as much.

So the 2 weeks of soft chew are done and I am slowly working in some real foods. Actually at at In&Out on Monday. Only ate the top bun with the cheese and meat. Tore it in little squares. had to check each fry and tear off the crunchy ends. Later that night I had some orange shrimp Chinese food. Can finally feel my teeth a bit so it's easier to chew.

No comments: