Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Day 1 - PreOp

So it's the big day. Woke up at the crack of dawn and headed down to the hospital. Check in was pretty simple. Headed upstairs to the prep area. Mom came in with me. They gave me my gown, booties, and pretty little hair net. I put everything and hopped up into my bed.

Even though it said only 1 visitor they let my dad and George come in and sit with me too until they were ready for me. Nurse came to prep me after a bit. Gave me some liquid (tasted like sweet tart gone bad) and a couple pills. These were to settle my stomach and lower my blood pressure for surgery. She also prepped me for the IV. They injected the area with Novocaine to help deaden the area for the IV. The prick hurt a little but the push of the Novocaine hurt worse. Didn't feel the IV at all though. She sadly informed me that she had bruised me.



The anesthesiologist came in to talk to me as did Dr. Poor's assistant. Soon they were ready to wheel me away. Family was able to follow me up to the doors of the operating rooms. Hugs and kisses were exchanged. Dad told me I could still change my mind if I wanted.

They wheeled me into the little recovery area prior to the surgery and that is when it finally hit me and I started crying. What was I doing? What was I thinking? What if I didn't make it? What if it went wrong? What if I don't like it? Dr. Poor came to say hi and calm me down. Assured me I was in good hands.

They wheeled me into the operating room and slid me onto the table. Put some blankets on me. Asked me for the 20th time what my name and birthday was and why I was there. They were impressed and laughed when I used the fancy terms. Everyone said hi and I was soon fast asleep.....

No comments: