Friday, May 23, 2008

Day 10 - Eating

So in the car ride home from my parents I took my first stab at eating. We had stopped at the store to get some baby spoons. You know the kind with the rubber ends. I had a Jello snack size. Eating is not easy. Do not expect to get the wires off and go share a nice soft meal somewhere at a restaurant. First off you can't open very wide. Secondly you still can't feel much of anything so you have to watch your self in a mirror to eat.

I was able to grab small pieces of Jello and put them on the end of the spoon and kind of scrape it off with my teeth. This was very messy. No one will want to watch you while you eat for awhile. I ended up with pretty red Jello all over my front teeth. You are basically trying to just mash stuff into the gap in your teeth now.

When I got home I couldn't wait to make some Mac'n Cheese. I made it full calorie style. Whole milk and all the butter it called for. I needed some calories! So I waited for it to cool down and I attempted my first bite. Also not easy. I kinda had to spear 3 or 4 noodle and shove them in. Mostly they just slide down the fork. Again, get some baby utensils. The forks are short so the food can't travel far down the tines. I was more successful trying to put it in side ways with the fork. It took me over an hour to eat one large bowl. I had cheese all over my face, lips, and teeth. Not to mention mashed into my braces. Had to eat with a mirror propped up in front of me.

Later I grabbed some pintos and cheese from taco bell. This was a bit easier to eat. I grabbed one of the baby spoons and scooped out one bean at a time. I turned the spoon upside down and carefully shoved the spoon into my mouth and licked off the spoon with the tip of my tongue. Took me about 30 minutes to get through the bowl of beans. I had bought a bunch of stuff at taco bell and this was all I could get down.

Here I was thinking I was gonna get all sorts of calories now. The Mac'n Cheese was about 400 calories and the bowl of beans was only 160 calories. At least the beans have 9 grams of protein in them. hope fully tomorrow I am more successful.

No comments: