Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Major Annoyances and Issues - draft

No one really warned me about the splint. I knew there would be one and it would be between my teeth but I did not know it would be wider than my teeth as well. If you think back to a time when they gave you one of those soft wax strips to bite down on, this is what the splint is like, except it is hard plastic. Its kinda like having mouth trays in that do not conform to your teeth on the inside. So my tongue rubs against it all day. I have this little area on my tongue where I had it pinched in my teeth. This area is like 4 or 5 taste buds on my tongue that are swollen. Very sharp pain. This is never going to heal since it rubs on the splint all day. Plus my tongue can't comfortably rest in my mouth. Under the splint feels wrong and over it feels wrong.

The other major thing is the incessant tingling from the numbness. I know this means it is healing but it is so annoying. It never stops. Hard to close my eyes at night because the nerves behind them and on my cheeks are also tingly. The best position I have found is to have an ice pack wrapped under my chin and a heating pad wrapped around my forehead really low.

My lips are extremely puffy and raw. I had places in my lips that were bleeding they were so raw. This makes it very hard to talk. I have found the best thing is to count your lips in a heavy layer of Aquaphor then cover each lip in a small strip of Saran Wrap. This seals in the moisture and prevents the Aquaphor from coming off in the middle of the night or on the straws while drinking. In one day I saw a huge decrease in puffiness.

You will be slurping a lot. Others may get very annoyed after awhile listening to this. Until you can get control over your tongue and lips this will continue. I am 2 days with the wires off and I am still slurping. Other option would be to just drool all over lol

No comments: