Monday, May 5, 2008

Pre-Op Appointments

So I had 3 appointments today for pre-op.

The first one was a another consult with Dr. Poor. He looked over my new models and answered any more questions I had.

The second one was a very informative 2 hour class about the surgery and what to expect. My mom came with me since she was going to be my main caregiver. They went over what to expect and what to eat. We watched a video of someone who had the surgery done. They gave us a syringe type feeder and a book of recipes.

Most important thing to reduce swelling:
Ice (at all times for the first few days, then 20 mins every hour after that)
Drink (drink lots of water and other fluids, at least 64 ounces)
Walk (get up and start walking around from the start. this gets the blood flowing)
Talk (start talking from day 1. try to exaggerate your talking with your lips as much as possible)
Stay ahead of the pain (do not try and be a hero and not take the pain meds. when you are in pain you will not eat or do anything else you need to do)

The third appointment was with the pre-surgery department. Here I had a brief physical and some blood drawn to make sure I was ready for surgery.

Surgery is next week! Time is ticking away.

No comments: