Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Day 2 - Home from Hospital

I was let go from the hospital around 9am. I was given some nausea medication and pain killers right before I left. I got home climbed into bed and passed out. Woke up a little while later and needed more ice and pain meds. I have to say the Tylenol with Codeine tastes horrible! After many trials and errors we found that the best combo was 2 teaspoons of meds and 2 tablespoons of orange juice. Otherwise the pain med burns so much going down that you will choke. The worst episode of choking was on the pain meds.

I started out slowly to make sure I wouldn't get nauseated taking the meds. 4 teaspoons is hard to take at once. This also leaves a period where you are tapering down to nothing before you can take more. I have found the best way is to take the 2 teaspoon concoction every 2 hours. At night we cut open a Benedryl capsule and add the powder. You can just pour the pain meds, OJ and Benedryl in a little cup then slurp it into the syringe.

The pain is very minimal. What you feel the most is the pressure and tightness from the swelling. I cannot have the ice off my face for more than 5 minutes. I feel like I have to have it on at all times or my face gets tighter. I am using the jaw wraps with the gel packs. I alternate the location.
  • Under my chin to reduce the swelling in my neck, this helps with swallowing
  • On my chin, to help with the swelling on my jaw
  • Across my mouth and cheeks, to reduce the swelling her and loosen the lips
  • Across my nose, this helps reduce the swelling in my sinuses, which helps with breathing
  • From the top of my face the the bottom vertically on each side
Haven't had much to eat or drink today. No clue how I am going to get to 2000 calories.

No comments: